This 1 day course will teach you how to create attractive, informative maps using QGIS.
Taught by means of tutor-led teaching and hands-on exercises, expand your cartographic expertise by learning how QGIS can be used for producing high quality, meaningful maps.
This course is most suitable for:
Those with experience of using QGIS with a responsibility for creating maps for the display and communication of information.
Module 1: Extending your skills in the Print Composer
Gain in-depth understanding of the QGIS Print Composer functionality
- Print Composer functionality
- Creating a simple map
- Creating complex maps (including multiple overviews, multiple page design, expression based text and html frames)
Module 2: using the Atlas Builder in QGIS
Understand when to use the Atlas Builder and how to apply it
- Introduction to the Atlas Builder
- Batch processing – creating automated map outputs
Module 3: QGIS Labelling Functionality
Learn about the options for labelling maps and how they can be customised.
- Introduction to labelling
- Standard labelling techniques
- Data drive labelling for complex cartographic effects
- Using QGIS plugins for labelling
Module 4: QGIS Display Diagrams
Learn how to create and integrate histograms, pie charts and diagrams within your maps.
- Introduction to Display Diagrams and feature data
- Creating and manipulating diagrams
Module 5: Heat Maps
Understand the benefits of using Heat Maps to identify patterns and trends in data, and learn how to create them.
- The concept of a Heat Map
- Typical data sources for producing heat maps
- Creating Heat Maps
Module 6: Extending your Vector Symbology skills
Learn how to use the QGIS tools to create graphic effects within QGIS and have an advanced understanding of attractive and informative symbology.
- Overview of the QGIS Symbology creation toolset
- Symbology styles to create graphic effects
- Vector data layered symbols
- Symbol customisation
- Cartographic and design concepts
Cost: £250 (exc VAT)
Duration: 1 day
- 26th July 2017
- 20th October 2017
Venue: thinkWhere, Stirling.
CPD Points: 4